5 IDEAS ON HOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE IN WORLD FOOD DAY!
Today, October 16th, 2011 is World Food Day. This is a day that is held annually to commemorate the founding of the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization in 1945. It is a day to talk, reflect and even act on such issues as food production, hunger, sustainability, and dare I say...privilege. There are many ways people can participate in this global day of awareness. I've listed just a few ideas. I hope you will find ways to talk, reflect, and even act on this World Food Day and the days to come. Thanks!
Here they are, in no order of importance:
1) Make Sunday a special meal day. Whether you have a dinner party or a meal with your family, think about what you're eating, where it came from, how it got to your table, what meals others may or may not be having, and what you can do locally and globally to not take food for granted.
A) For a menu of recipes from Around the World gathered in honor of World Food Day see:
B) For more information on making your Sunday dinner special and for a message on World Food Day from Desmund TuTu:
2) Learn more about global hunger by taking the Wold Food Day Quiz from Save the Children:
3) Embed this quiz in your own blog or share the link with your family, friends, and social media followers
A) To share the link http://savethechildren.typepad.com/blog/2011/10/sunday-is-the-day.html
B) To embed the link: Go to the site above and click on the link provided right below the quiz which says "click here to get the embed code"
4) Donate rice to impoverished communities by playing freerice.com, a charitable game program sponsored by the United Nation's World Food Program. Set up a free account and if you would, please find the group "Service for CLC" at that site by clicking on "groups". Then through the group site for Service for CLC http://freerice.com/content-group/service-clc play away!!! Each correct answer adds 10 grains of rice to help those in need.
5) Follow the blog action on Twitter: @blogactionday11 I'm sure there will be more interesting tips, stories, and resources shared!
Thank you for your time and consideration!